Because the Russia-Ukraine struggle enters its 269th day, we check out the principle developments.
Right here is the scenario because it stands on Saturday, November 19:
- Lots of of individuals had been detained or went lacking in Ukraine’s Kherson area whereas it was underneath Russian management, and dozens might have been tortured, Yale College researchers have concluded in a report. Russia has denied its forces dedicated abuses.
- Russia’s defence ministry stated Ukraine executed greater than 10 Russian prisoners of struggle. There was no quick remark from Ukraine, which has promised to analyze any alleged abuses by its forces.
- Ukrainian forces repelled about 100 assaults within the jap Donetsk area up to now 24 hours, with no letup within the preventing, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated.
- Ukraine’s army stated Russian forces fired artillery on the cities of Bakhmut, and close by Soledar and Bilohorivka within the east. Russian hearth additionally hit areas close to Avdiivka and in Zaporizhia area in southern Ukraine.
- Hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians in additional than a dozen provinces are experiencing extreme energy disruptions as temperatures plunge.
- Russia’s defence ministry stated it was solely concentrating on military-linked amenities.
- Following Ukraine’s recapture of a part of the Kherson area, Russia stated it was strengthening positions in Crimea, which it annexed in 2014.
- Zelenskyy dismissed the thought of a “quick truce” with Russia, saying it might solely make issues worse.
- Russia stated it hoped to clinch a prisoner swap with america to return convicted Russian arms trafficker Viktor Bout, often known as the “Service provider of Dying”, in an alternate that may probably embrace US basketball star Brittney Griner.
- Russia is open to higher-level talks with the US, a prime diplomat stated on Friday, however the Kremlin dismissed the thought of a summit between President Vladimir Putin and US President Joe Biden as “out of the query” for now.
- Former Moldovan President Igor Dodon, who faces a collection of legal expenses, was launched from home arrest and promised to participate in protests in opposition to the present pro-Western chief of the ex-Soviet state, sandwiched between Ukraine and EU member Romania.
- A senior UN official welcomed the extension by 4 months of a deal aimed toward easing international meals shortages by serving to Ukraine export its agricultural merchandise from Black Sea ports, however stated there was nonetheless work to be finished.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin mentioned the thought of making a Turkish “gasoline hub” with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan throughout a cellphone name.
- Russia’s power exports to China have elevated in worth by 64 p.c this yr, and by 10 p.c in quantity as Moscow redirects shipments in direction of “pleasant” nations, Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak stated.