To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox each day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Howdy! You’ve bought yet another day of simply me earlier than I take a well-deserved Friday off and Kyle fills in, so I’ve determined to make an extra-large model of Each day Crunch. We hope lots of you might be hanging out with the cryptocurrency gang down in Miami for TC Periods: Crypto. As you’ll be able to see, a number of tales have come out of it already and I’m certain there may be extra to come back.
Oh, and you probably have half-hour of downtime, I feel you’ll take pleasure in Alex’s interview with some company comms specialists on the ins and outs of working with startups and public corporations. Additionally, take a look at Haje’s Pitch Deck Teardown of Sateliot, which has loads going for it, however wants final names for its staff members.
Let’s dig into at present’s information! — Christine
The TechCrunch Prime 3
- Characteristic dump: For these of you who love to make use of Google Maps, Google Search and Google Procuring, boy, does the corporate have some new options for you. Aisha breaks them down.
- Placing cash the place your mouth is: Index Ventures is betting that the financial downturn will encourage the creation of extra startups and is placing $300 million on that horse to win, Mike writes.
- “A purpose with no plan is only a want”: Mozilla launched its “State of Mozilla” report at present, and Frederic has a have a look at how the Firefox maker sees its subsequent chapter.
Startups and VC
Extra cybersecurity M&A occurring right here as Ingrid stories that Palo Alto Networks is shopping for Cider Safety in a deal stated to be valued at as much as $300 million. It is a transfer that she writes has been rumored for a bit, however now some items have fallen into place, together with telling traders, that make it extra apt to be occurring.
Mary Ann spoke with some crypto-focused enterprise capitalists who informed her that they had been already continuing with warning when it got here to deploying their funds into cryptocurrency however are actually apprehensive that fallout from FTX’s collapse might make it tougher to get restricted companions on board for future funds.
And we now have six extra for you:
SaaS startups that ignored VC recommendation to chop gross sales and advertising and marketing had been higher off this yr
Many VCs suggested founders to dial again their gross sales and advertising and marketing outlays to protect runway this yr. And, because it seems, many VCs have been giving the unsuitable recommendation.
Based on information from Capchase, a fintech that gives startups nondilutive capital, “corporations that didn’t reduce spending on gross sales and advertising and marketing had been in a greater monetary and progress place now than those who did when the market began to dip in 2022,” stories Rebecca Szkutak.
Of the five hundred corporations surveyed, bootstrapped corporations confirmed the strongest progress, stated Miguel Fernandez, Capchase’s co-founder and CEO:
“What we now have seen on this case, and what’s most fascinating, is one of the best corporations have truly reduce each different value besides gross sales and advertising and marketing.”
Three extra from the TC+ staff:
TechCrunch+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup groups get forward of the pack. You’ll be able to enroll right here. Use code “DC” for a 15% low cost on an annual subscription!
Huge Tech Inc.
Please take pleasure in Brian’s extra-large Actuator e-newsletter at present, the place he breaks down Boston’s tech scene, going everywhere in the metropolis, speaking to Tye Brady, getting in some work with robotics, and taking “a discipline journey to a few of Boston’s greatest startups.”
For these of you who wish to tweet in threads, Twitter is engaged on a characteristic for you that can divide lengthy textual content right into a thread routinely, Ivan stories. This transfer will cut back the necessity to break up your entire rigorously curated phrase vomit into 280-character segments.
In the meantime, over in Binance land, co-founder and CEO Changpeng Zhao, also called CZ, spoke with Anita this morning at TC Periods: Crypto, and Romain grabbed a few of the highlights, together with CZ’s ideas on FTX: “We had been the final straw that broke the camel’s again.” Then Manish pulled out a few of CZ’s feedback as they relate to Binance’s enterprise viability in India. Specifically, there may be none.
Right this moment, there are six extra we thought it’s best to learn:
- On cloud 9: Apple’s iCloud web site is somewhat completely different now with apps that appear to be widget-styled tiles as a substitute of icons, Ivan writes.
- Extra layoffs: Roku says it is usually chopping jobs, citing financial situations for why 200 U.S. staff can be let go, Lauren writes.
- Controlling misinformation: PR software program large Cision acquired Factmata, which, if you happen to don’t know, is combating faux information, Ingrid stories.
- Automobile porn: Toyota’s new all-electric SUV idea has a glossy look and plant-based seating, Jaclyn stories.
- Shock, shock, shock: Blizzard Activision shocked us all by suspending most of its video games in China, citing expiration of licensing agreements with NetEase. Rita has extra.
- Howdy, my title is…: We’ve been following the Meta India departures, however now have some information that Meta appointed a brand new India head, Manish stories.